CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, September 5, 2026

Just like Mom (and Dad)

The end of every summer (and into the fall) growing up, Mom was always busy in the kitchen.  She had apples, pears, apple-pears, grapes, plums, blueberries, salmon and even some currants and gooseberries to process!  She baked pies, canned, made jam, froze, made juice, and filleted for hours upon hours and days upon days.  Well, I seem to be following in her footsteps.

This year my vegetable garden didn't do great.  My pumpkin plants absolutely flopped for the first time ever, the birds ate most of my blueberries, my peas didn't grow very tall, and even my zucchinis' had a poor showing.  But, you know what did do well?  My raspberries, plums, apples, and pears!  I can't even tell you how many apples we have--it's insane.

So I spent a good part of the end of summer making apple crisp, freezing raspberries, making plum cobbler, freezing even more plums...and I still need to do applesauce and harvest the rest of the apples.  Mike even ordered an apple press to make juice (against my wishes).

Plum cobbler was so good--reminded me of my childhood


So far I've made 6 apple crisps


All I can say is thank goodness Mike doesn't fish!

No comments: